[Tango-L] Open Embrace Connection

Alex alex at tangofuego.us
Wed Mar 12 20:04:03 EDT 2008

Jeff,

Thanks for the note, but no, I don't think it's bad posture on my part.

90% of the time I dance, I have no lower back issues whatsoever - when I
dance with followers who know how to be responsible for their own
axis/weight - even in close embrace.

It's the 10% of followers who think that "it's the proper way to do it" (or
don't know any better) - to "hang" their weight on the man's right shoulder
- open or close. It's my supporting of that eccentric load on my shoulder
that affects my back.

Proper close embrace posture, as I have been taught, is this - if the couple
is standing chest to chest (no embrace) - the leader should be able to step
quickly to the side - with no danger of the follower losing her balance or
falling forward. This posture results in the follower being responsible for
her own axis/weight - transferring none of her weight to the leader.

Perhaps you have not yet experienced a bona fide "hanger on" follower...it's
truly unpleasant...I also find that in the wee hours of the morning, when
followers are getting tired, that this leaning/hanging/resting becomes more
prevalent...