[Tango-L] Why (going to/ or teaching) too many classes can be deadly

Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 12 22:00:42 EDT 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ra1CGazrUw&feature=PlayList&p=517533904E339685&index=0&playnext=1

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iikKzQwgBJc

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alcBFsaRoPQ

  I should know better than to stick my neck where I'm about to put it...
  but here goes..
  I'm thinking that: these three videos show the real danger of taking
  or giving too many classes in Tango..namely, that the dance becomes
  a series of disjointed moves...a sequence of isolated moves without
  musicality.... musicality is the WHOLE picture and it is learned in
  the whole dance... going to dances will beat going to classes, anyday.
  In the first video (top) we have Oscar and Mary Casas...growing rich
  and well deserveably so for giving the best most innovative and insitefull
  tango classes here in the States.... their dance is mediocre with none of
  the punch of really hearing and being moved by the music..his dance
  looks like what you would expect when seeing an aeorobics teacher dance
  ....he is doing the milonguero walk class on the dance floor, weaving in and out
   of the lanes
  expertly...but so what?  where's the music? Where's the relationship the suprise?
  Now move on to the next two videos...the second shows raw musicality
  at its best...full of suprises and sudden moves...brought on by a feeling of
  the surges of music...
  and last but not least,  Tete Rosconi...sure, he is now teaching..and he
  should cash in..why not? He wrote the book but he's the first to tell his
  class that;..".I don't know what I am doing when I'm doing it" ..and simply
  explains that " it's like flying!".... go Tete!
  punch