[Tango-L] Open Embrace Connection

Jeff Gaynor jjg at jqhome.net
Wed Mar 12 18:19:53 EDT 2008

Alex wrote:
> To David - with the shoulder injury/pain,

David - Alternately, give them a hug, i.e., use one hand to support the
other. I found this useful last year when I was having a nasty rotator
cuff problem. The rotator cuff is responsible for stabilizing the
shoulder so in the unilateral (one-armed) case it will have to work. If
you make everything truly bilateral -- so you grab yourself and she's in
the middle -- then the issue should abate.

Of course, open embrace is also a solution. But if you like CE and she's
ok with it, then this works fine.

Alex - As for tweaking the lower back, this issue probably relates to
bad posture on your part -- either because you have some issue (e.g.
hamstring tightness) or your partner is pushing you into that position.
I would suggest you play with doing what is essentially a teensy situp
(so your abs are tight and your back is flat -- your back cannot get
injured if you do this). No, I'm not saying hunch over, just bend
minimally enough that you can feel your abs working. Nobody but you will
probably notice if you do it right. In this way any force she applies to
you will be handled by the *front* of you rather than your posterior
chain.  On turns, it is better (again, this is if you have back issues)
to keep both feet on the floor and twist your hips so your belt buckle
points where you want to go rather than pivot since a pivot can always
be replaced by a  twist + step. Pivots can hurt your back since you get
a kink in your spine and since you are on one foot, there can be sudden
loads on your back. Hope this helps.

And finally, some followers just don't get it if you tell them about an
issue you are having. The best you can do, as Alex said, is politely
find an excuse to avoid dancing with them until the problem is
rectified. Case in point last year when I was having nasty rotator cuff
issues I ended up dancing with a beginner (during a class) who ended up
side-lining me for a good month because she re-tore my subscapularis,
again. :o( Ouch!!

(I train  athletes, FWIW... If none of this makes sense, feel free to
ask for a clarification.)

Cheers,

Jeff G