[Tango-L] plantar faciitis - possible solution

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Tue Mar 11 13:48:33 EDT 2008

This is very common (not the plantar fasciitis, but the different
lengths of various body parts, and resulting curvature of the spine).  I
have found in AT this can be a real problem for me, as I have one leg
1.1 inches shorter than the other, which then affects the horizontal
orientation of my hips.  I have to try to consciously compensate in step
length to stay even.  I'm not really a case for foot orthotics, plus
that's very difficult inside of a lady's tango shoe.

I've never had an issue with other dances other than occasional back
pain.  In AT, the difference seems to be causing some of my challenges
with balance and keeping on an axis, and possibly some of my lower back
pain.  I'm also very tall, usually taller than the lead.  Taller leads
are much easier for me to dance with and shorter leads sometimes impossible.

Just about everyone is asymmetrical to some degree and AT probably
magnifies the differences.  Something to keep in mind when we find an
embrace doesn't "click" with a certain person, or if we find ourselves
having greater than average balance problems.

I am doing core strength training to help alleviate the balance and axis
issues.

--
Carol Ruth Shepherd
Arborlaw PLC

marks  •  merchandising  •  management  •  media law