[Tango-L] Open Embrace Connection

David Thorn thorn-inside at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 11 12:16:34 EDT 2008

I am trying to expand my dancing to include more facility with open embrace.  Many of the women hereabouts seem to want to lean on me; not to maintain their own axis, but rather require that I do it for them.  In close embrace I have no problem with a shared axis.  In open embrace I find this to be very tiring, especially since I am short and many women in their heels are at least my height or taller.

It also appears that unless I am continually pressuring them, they seem to loose their balance and think that I am leading (is absence of a lead a lead?) something - apparently ochos since they will start ochoing like crazy.  Or if I do lead a back ocho and then pause prior to leading them rotate back into alignment with me, they step forward unled and then start running around me in molinettes.

Is this common?  Am I expected to maintain their balance for them?  Will my insurance cover the rotator cuff repair that I am going to need if I keep this up?  Sorry for the sarcasm, but this doesn't seem right.

Cheers,

D. David Thorn