[Tango-L] What Argentine Tango is, and what it is not

Huck Kennedy tempehuck at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 13:35:57 EDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Floyd Baker <febaker at buffalotango.com> wrote:

> Ha!   I do understand both sides...
>
> That there is no need to identify it as Argentine Tango.., as there is
> only one true Tango.  And on this list especially, that is only Tango
> that should be being discussed.

     I would agree with you with respect to discussions on this list,
but otherwise no, I agree with Charles.  The usual response from a
"lay person," as it were, when I mention that I am heavily involved in
tango, is to gush, "Oh, don't you just *love* Dancing With The
Stars?," or, "Oh I love tango, I was just watching the ballroom
championships last night on PBS!"

     I then have to give a mini-lecture on how that "tango" is
actually only ballroom tango, and how what I do is the real social
Argentine tango from Buenos Aires, which is completely different, a
lot sweeter and not as fierce looking, no rose in the mouth, etc.

     That's when they ask me, "Oh, that sounds nice, how often do you
compete?," at which point I usually just give up.

Huck