[Tango-L] What Argentine Tango is, and what it is not

Floyd Baker febaker at buffalotango.com
Tue Mar 11 19:16:03 EDT 2008

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:35:57 -0700, you wrote:

>On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Floyd Baker <febaker at buffalotango.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ha!   I do understand both sides...
>>
>> That there is no need to identify it as Argentine Tango.., as there is
>> only one true Tango.  And on this list especially, that is only Tango
>> that should be being discussed.
>
>     I would agree with you with respect to discussions on this list,
>but otherwise no, I agree with Charles.  The usual response from a
>"lay person," as it were, when I mention that I am heavily involved in
>tango, is to gush, "Oh, don't you just *love* Dancing With The
>Stars?," or, "Oh I love tango, I was just watching the ballroom
>championships last night on PBS!"
>
>     I then have to give a mini-lecture on how that "tango" is
>actually only ballroom tango, and how what I do is the real social
>Argentine tango from Buenos Aires, which is completely different, a
>lot sweeter and not as fierce looking, no rose in the mouth, etc.
>
>     That's when they ask me, "Oh, that sounds nice, how often do you
>compete?," at which point I usually just give up.
>
>Huck

And so you've come full circle to my outlook on the whole thing?   :o)
Not to worry about it in the first place?    Just give those who ask,
a strong indication that they don't understand a thing about what
should be very obvious.  :-)

Act mysterious.  Tell them nothing.  They will then die to know.   ;-)

Just kidding...   But it's an idea...   <g>

Personally my lesson ads, etc. usually state:

'True, Totally Improvised, Argentine Tango'.

I'm hoping that's clear enough.  That *this* is the one with
originality, imagination and feeling.., and that the rest are rote.

Floyd

     Buffalo Tango - Argentine Tango - How To Tango
     * * * * * *  www.buffalotango.com  * * * * * *