[Tango-L] bad nuevo

Victor Bennetts Victor_Bennetts at infosys.com
Mon Mar 3 00:48:26 EST 2008

I would have to agree with Aron, although I am insanely
jealous of anyone who has had lessons with Montes!
When I first saw the way Arce and Montes dance I thought they are really inventive and don't dance like anyone else. I still think that, but since I have seen the way some young non professional Argentineans dance at Viruta,
Villa Malcom, Practica X and I am sure other similar places, I can see they are just the
best exponents of something organic, strong and unmistakably new tango. However I am
sure that every one of these dancers is also a complete master of the old dance,
and would probably be perfectly at home dancing in the old style somewhere like El Beso, which is probably where some dancers outside of BsAs may fall down...
Personally I am perfectly happy just dancing the old dance, itself an
enormous challenge and more than enough to fill a lifetime, but as others have
pointed out, a lot of the nuevo introduced by people like Naviera and
Chicho is now part of the 'old' dance, so probably this process
will just continue. Some stuff will work great in the social context
and other stuff will be for stage use only.
Thank God for that, it would be pretty boring otherwise.
Incidentally, for youtube junkies, check out my current favourite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlmNhQpex8M
Naviera and Anne at practica x dancing to Viejo porton. I presume that
is the correct link, but apologise if not as no youtube at work :-(.
Now that is what I call good nuevo.

Victor Bennetts