[Tango-L] Tango styles and labeling

Floyd Baker febaker at buffalotango.com
Sun Mar 2 20:45:59 EST 2008

American ballroom was created by Irene and Vern Castle as they
returned by boat from Europe where they 'discovered' Argentine
Tango...

They apparently saw only the surface of the dance.., but being
ballroom people, that's all they needed...  They used it as the basis
for their own version of it...   Adding what they thought were dashing
flairs, etc...  :-/   It went over big for a decade or so here and
then was over shadowed by the Foxtrot...  Which I've heard described
as 'beautifully boreing'...   American Tango is ballroom memorized
steps to a dance that never was...  And it seems to me to now be on
the bottom rung of the ballroom ladder...

Ballroom does strange things to street dances...  I heard just
recently an instructor saying there is street Salsa and there is
Ballroom Salsa...  I guess...

As for nuevo needing it's own list?    Does the Milonga need another
list?  That is not Tango at all..., it just uses Tango leads and some
of it's steps...   Sounds like Nuevo in a way...    What about the
Vals...  I may be mistaken but was that not developed in Europe? Waltz
using Tango leads and some of it's steps...  Sounds like Nuevo in a
way.  .

As far as I'm concerned, this list should be considered as relating to
*improvisational* dancing, using Tango style of lead.    The tree with
three main trunks and many branches...

Floyd