[Tango-L] Roberto Angel Pujol -- milonguero

Janis Kenyon Jantango at feedback.net.ar
Sun Mar 2 17:43:47 EST 2008

He's known in the milongas as El Gallego, although none of his family
originated in that part of Spain.  Roberto turned 70 today.  In a recorded
interview two years ago, he talked about dancing at the age of 14 at the
amusement park near Retiro (the current site of the Sheraton Buenos Aires).
The park included the Palacio de baile where boys went to meet the girls.
When he turned 18, he was able to go to the downtown confiterias and salones
de baile where no milonguero danced with more than two or three women each
night.

Roberto invited me to take a drive today to La Boca where he pointed out
places he frequented in the 1950s.  We walked down a block of abandoned
buildings in front of the river and stopped in front of what was once a
cabaret where he told me about the singers and orchestras that performed
there.  The smile on his face said it all.  Unfortunately, our tour of La
Boca ended abruptly due to a mechanical problem with his car.

Out of all the milongueros with whom I've danced over the past ten years,
Roberto is my favorite.  He dances differently to each orchestra and is a
generous teacher.  I consider myself very fortunate to have danced with him
for several years.  I've learned so much from him.

Happy birthday, Roberto Angel.