[Tango-L] Fwd: Women as wild horses that need to be broken?

Astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Wed Jun 11 11:23:52 EDT 2008

Brick gave us this article: (clip)
Sometimes when teaching a follower I find that it is necessary to
work on the "auto-ocho" habit. Like a wild bronco that needs to be
broken, these followers become runaway horses when led forward from
the cross.Horse trainers have developed techniques for breaking wild horses
which requires the tying up of a bronco to a barn or tree until it is
too tired to fight anymore. I haven't heard of such techniques being
used in tango, but it could be a possible last resort.

Good grief, thank God we do not have instructors here that think of their
students in this way. He probably thinks, he is being funny, too, but this
reads like he has a secret taste for S and M, when it comes to women.
Terrible! I would say, the people to blame for women going into automatic
pilot on series of ochos are none other than those instructors that make
women practise ochos against the wall for long periods without giving them a
partner to teach them that ochos are actually a led move which does not
really appear in the form of a series in tango but rather usually consists
of no more than half an ocho at a time. The man to who this happens probably
also does not know how to lead ochos with his chest instead of his hand,
otherwise he could easily stop her movement.