[Tango-L] Marketing or hype?

Astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Tue Jun 10 03:38:38 EDT 2008

The URL for the 2007 World Argentine tango show championship's list of
winners  is this:

http://www.mundialdetango.gov.ar/tango_escenario_e.php

The Japanese winners and finalists are all dancers I know personally,
Chizuko still  works at the studio I go to for their milongas while her
partner Sebastian has returned to BA. The Korean couple who won 1st prize a
couple of years ago paid our milonga a visit on their way home to Seoul.
Gonzalo who won 2nd place last year with a Japanese partner never returned
to Tokyo after that. Cristian Lopez who won 4th place the year before that
with Rika has been bought up by another studio in Tokyo, I used to dance
with him every week.
So, don't rush to conclusions if you just lack information, Chris. The video
of the teaching couple you posted does not look like they would be able to
win the Mundial in BA, but then you never know. Sometimes dancers just have
to know the right people and take lessons with someone who is on the jury to
score in these kind of events.
There are also "world tango competitions" held in Florida, or were, at any
case,  the teacher who organised them would then proudly announce on tango-l
that all the winning couples had been among his students, except for Gavito
and Marcella and such...
So, no need to take these results all that seriously, but these competitions
do exist. The proper name for th BA event is Campeonato Mundial de Baile de
Tango. Copes, Sergio Cortazzo and such people are on the jury.
I would love to know more about the salon tango competitions but
unfortunately, teachers from Japan (Japanese or Argentine) do not usually
compete in that, but there were a few who went and one or two couples
scored.

this UK teaching couple http://tinyurl.com/5pmbh4 who