[Tango-L] Reflections on competition and art form.

Amaury de Siqueira amaurycdsf at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 10 09:35:33 EDT 2008

I wonder... what is the side-effect of taking a socially grounded art form and making it a competition?

In a few instances that I know of the competitive execution of art forms have eventually transformed the fundamental way in which artist practices and execute the art form.

Emphasis on competition may have the following side-effects: execution becomes geared towards fitting particular guidelines and standards (stifling creativity); scoring points become the ultimate measurement of a dancer; and the financial requirements of such competitions alienate talented dancers of low social economic status.  Anyone needing examples of what the future will look like for tango competition -- look at dance sport (formerly know as ballroom) and judo (competition vs. art form practice).

Amaury