[Tango-L] Marketing or hype?

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Mon Jun 9 23:02:39 EDT 2008

Milton Myers, a master teacher, choreographer and former principal
dancers of the Alvin Ailey Dance Company in NY, once said in class
that all dance teachers have some gems.  Some of them have many and
they spill them in front of their students.  But others have only one
or two.  Most students wait for the teachers that spill lots of gems
before they start picking them up.  But it is the student that is not
only picking all those spilled gems, but also who is able to pick
that one gem from that not the best of the teachers is the one that
will end up with a bigger treasure.

There is a very basic thing about tango teaching and learning - if
you look at a dancer who is also a teacher and you want to dance like
him or her, then by all means take the lessons with that
teacher.  But if you look at that teacher and do not want to dance
like him or her, then does it really matter whether this dancer is
the last deity of tango?

The question is who controls the student - other people of his/her
internal drive?  If it is other people, then he/she needs to spend
lots of money on lots of lessons to figure it out.  It is a journey,
and the words don't matter.

Nina