[Tango-L] Dividing Tango

Astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Thu Jul 31 00:31:36 EDT 2008

Brick Robbins wrote:
> Running into people is
> not good FOR your partner, so of course good navigation is part of
> this focus.

You forgot that it also annoys the other people you run into!
> In my experience, when a "Salon" couple strikes a dramatic, but
> obviously uncomfortable pose, many of my social tango friends are
> somewhat offended. They feel the same when a "Neuvo" couple is
> obviously showing off. I think this stems from the change of focus.

It is not so much the change of focus but mainly, again, that they are
not alone on the floor and again, instead of going with the flow, they
are disrupting the line of dance with their posing and thus presenting a
disturbance for the other dancers. Everybody wants to enjoy dancing with
their partners and does not want to be thrown out of the mood by some
couple bumping into them, extending legs into their path and such.