[Tango-L] New Video

Andreas Wichter andreas at tangokombinat.de
Wed Jul 30 12:08:13 EDT 2008

Hello,

sorry to bother the list with three postings, but I was being too wordy
and so I had to break this up into three parts. This is the final one,
though...

Trini wrote:

 >>  However, the music itself didn't strike me as a fast "flying"
piece.  It struck me as stately and elegant, which this couple
certainly conveyed.  My interpretation might include more suspension
between movements, but it's hard to tell visually whether this couple
was using that or not. So overall, I can appreciate their
interpretation.  Well-done.<<

Thank you, Trini. I agree with your assessment of this valses feel.

Some general thoughts:
My idea of dancing vals is, to a large degree, preservation of movement
and energy throughout the dance (you wanna keep the flow), plus playing
with rhythm and movement dynamics. Where tango may be dramatic, vals
tends toward the romantic. But then again, look at some of the
lyrics...check out „No The Mires En El Rio“ or „Tengo Mil Novias“ for
the tragic and the wacky end of the scale. Both not all that romantic,
but then again, it´s Rodriguez...
In a dance this slow the rate of movement is sometimes very slow, but
if you watch closely you will see that we actually stop moving for more
than half a second or so (and I like to think we still keep up the
energy flow there) only two or three times, normally we at least keep
up a rotation of an axis. I really like dancing slow sometimes, and
slowing down so much you hardly move creates a very nice
tension/expectation/anticipation.
Dancing this vals for me was just emphasizing (not embellishing) the
music´s underlying rhythm (don´t know if I am clear here...), staying
well-grounded (the music sure is, so I want to reflect it) and
maintaining flow. This was one of the few times when I perfomed that I
partly managed to forget the audience and dance for my partner alone,
so I guess that means you don´t get to see much... at least AC was
happy afterwards. ;-)

So what do others think about how to dance vals?

Andreas

http://www.tangokombinat.de/uk