[Tango-L] New Video

Andreas Wichter andreas at tangokombinat.de
Wed Jul 30 12:07:21 EDT 2008

Hello Jack,

Jack wrote:

 >> It was a very nice dance by Andreas and Anne-Cécile. Very nice. But
I like
my Tangos, Milongas and Vals' to be very different dances. Milonga is
fun,
playful and cheeky while Vals is elegant, sweeping, flowing
and romantic.
As Tete put it - "when I Vals, I want to fly".<<

I agree in principle, and the valses I remember seeing Tete dancing to
require exactly this, and Tete certainly is one of the best vals
dancers. And the youtube vids don´t even do him justice.
But to me, valses are not always alike in this regard. This one is very
slow and heavy and doesn´t really lend itself all that well to the
„sweeping, flowing“ thing. If I do have a role model for valses like
this, it is Osvaldo Cartery. Watch him dance vals...very different, yet
subtle and beautiful.

 >>But, nonetheless, Andreas - a beautiful, interpretation of the Vals.
I really
enjoyed it. Well done.<<

Thank you! Much appreciated.

Andreas