[Tango-L] Gratuitous insults and "social" tango

David Thorn thorn-inside at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 23 14:47:59 EDT 2008

>> Which I suspect is why many people enjoy Nuevo. No need
>> to worry about that pesky walk :-)

I know that there is a smiley face at the end of this statement, but this nevertheless seems to me
a rather gratuitously insulting remark, creating more heat than light, and perhaps reflecting significant
ignorance on the part of the author.  I love the pesky walk in close embrace.  I love the joy of the open, more
intellectual connection that exists in Nuevo.  What is the point of insulting the Nuevo dancers?

And while I'm bitching, I often fail to understand the use of the word "social" in the context of Tango.  To me, social
dance is simply that which can be danced socially.  Much of what comes under attack here as "not social" can be
easily danced in a social environment IF there is room on the dance floor, and IF the lead is good, and IF the follow
has the requisite skill and fitness.  But lack of any of these doesn't make the style "not social", it simply means that
the floor is too crowded or that the lead or follow isn't up to his / her job.

Cheers, David