[Tango-L] Gratuitous insults and "social" tango

Huck Kennedy tempehuck at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 15:42:45 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 11:47 AM, David Thorn <thorn-inside at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Jack Dylan wrote:
>
>> Which I suspect is why many people enjoy Nuevo. No need
>> to worry about that pesky walk :-)
>
> I know that there is a smiley face at the end of this statement,
> but this nevertheless seems to me a rather gratuitously insulting
> remark,

    Oh, but they're the most fun of all!     :-)

> creating more heat than light, and perhaps reflecting significant
> ignorance on the part of the author.

     So you thought you'd top a light-hearted poke at a generalized
style with a full-blown personal insult, calling Mr. Dylan ignorant?
(Oh excuse me, "perhaps" ignorant.)

 > What is the point of insulting the Nuevo dancers?

      Because they're there (you know, like why climb a mountain?).
And because it's fun.  Oh, and because so many of them dress so funny.

      Seriously, you need to lighten up.  Mr. Dylan did include a
smiley.  Besides, from everything I've seen (and despite some
denials), mocking other styles of tango is a time-honored Argentine
tradition going way, way back.  It would seem to be as Argentine and
traditional as the cabaceo.  The dance world in general is gossipy,
that's just the way it is.

Huck