[Tango-L] Different feeling in tango

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 23 09:52:21 EDT 2008

Jack says:  "Don't we talk a lot about the feeling of tango. I know it's very important to me [understatement!] and the feeling I have when I watch a man and a woman is completely different to when I watch a man and a man. They can both be fabulous and very enjoyable, but different."

Hi Jack,
              I totally agree with you.  Precisely this is what I have been trying to explain :  Tango may be danced in different ways, as there are different styles,
which have different purposes.  The music and the style (along with the place, available space, partner, general athmosphere, the way you are at the moment) provide changes in the way you feel.

Dancing to Piazzola or to any music for instance:  At the beginning most people prefer certain tango orchestras because they have a predictable beat. They know what to expect as they get familiar with the tango tempo.

After a while they discover that some tango orchestras are easier than others to dance to. Are more regular, without extremes .

 Pretty soon they become conscious about the fact that  tango has a beginning, a mid portion, a preparation for the ending and an ending. That it runs like a river, slowly and serene at times and fast like a torrent at other moments.

This requires an artistic interpretation of the music through the dance, with changes in dynamics.  You have to learn to dance with feeling, with fast or slow moves or pauses in order to synchronize with the music.

The day arrives when you can dance to any tango orchestra with ease, they are all different and evoke different feeling which should be danced accordingly.

You have been improvising, and now discover that to improvise to certain music could be very difficult, but if you know that music well enough you can find certain moves to correlate with it and then you choreograph for an exhibition to some strange music. (Piazzola for instance).

You have to understand that there are many styles, they have different purpose (to dance socially, or to act on stage, or to surprise with unexpected moves, or to impress with elegance, or to bring back dancing forms from old times, etc.)   .

You concentrate in social dancing, develop musicality, connection and feeling, while others do it in stage tango, developing high degree of skill, elegance,
and knowledge of the dance.  Both are equally tango, they are different.  One is not superior to the other, they have different purpose.

Some tango dancers know only one aspect or style of tango (are totally ignorant about other styles and possibilities, they never saw a tango musical) to the point that when they see something different they doubt that that dance so different from theirs could also be tango. Their first reaction is "this is not tango", the second invariably is " this is not for social dancing".

They are wrong both times, this is a different style of tango and given the right circumstances (mostly available space to dance) can be used for social dancing.

Others are well versed in different styles that they use to adjust to different circumstances.

Best regards, Sergio