[Tango-L] Apache dance - La valse Chaloupée

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 14 09:47:17 EDT 2008

Dear friends "La valse chaloupée" seems to be a tango as described by Mel (NZ), but in actuality it is not a tango, it is an Apache Dance and in this particular
case a Vals.

In any case we will start to immitate this style in our tango group, the girls are very excited with this idea.

Mario, who do you want to practice with?  :))

Apache is a highly dramatic dance associated in popular culture with Parisian street culture in the beginning of the 20th century. The name of the dance is pronounced ah-PAHSH (not ah-PATCH-ee, like the Native American tribe). The dance is named after the nickname of street gang members, Apaches.

The dance is very brutal to the woman, and sometimes said to reenact a "discussion" between pimp and prostitute. It includes mock slaps and punches, the man picking up and throwing the woman to the ground, or lifting and carrying her while she struggles or feigns unconsciousness. In some examples, the woman may fight back.

Best regards, Sergio