[Tango-L] So what is an OPEN mean?

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 11 02:40:57 EDT 2008

Larry,

I assume you mean the difference between an 'open step' and 'crossed step''.

OK, I'll do my best.

Have a girl stand facing you, feet together, and then have her turn 90deg left so that
you're on her right side. If she now steps LF back, this would be a LF Back Cross.
>From your perspective, her LF has crossed behind her RF. I'm sure you'll recognise
this as a step out of a Back Ocho or a Giro to Left [CCW].

Without her changing position, have her transfer her weight to her RF. This is now
a RF Front Cross and, again from your perspective, her RF is now crossed in front
of her LF. I'm sure you'll recognise this as a step out of a Front Ocho or a Giro to
Right [CW].

Now again have her stand facing you, feet together, and again have her turn 90deg
left so that you're again on her right side. If she now steps RF back, this would be
a RF Open Step. From your perspective, her legs have opened. This is clearer if you
have her make an exaggerated long step. Also, for example, she can now pivot right
to face you and, although her feet haven't moved [other than the pivot], it looks like
she's made a sidestep, which in this terminology, is also an open step.

A Tip - if either you or the girl have made a step and you're not sure if it's a crossed
step or an open step, simply pivot your feet to face your partner with feet apart..

If you can do it, it's an open step. If you can't do it [because the legs are crossed],
it's a crossed step.
Jack