[Tango-L] Changes of direction

David Thorn thorn-inside at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 11 10:55:09 EDT 2008

>> A Change of Direction, as the term now seems to be commonly used, includes
>> a change in the direction of a Giro.

It appears that what you are saying is that a change of direction must do two things:
1.  It must feel to the follow like it is a rock step, i.e. change the direction of the follow
2.  It must change the direction of the turn relative to the lead (CW/CCW)
and neither one alone is sufficient.

For example, the two step pattern that I cited feel to the follow exactly like a LFX to RBX, a change in her direction,
but don't change the direction of the turn; while a front ocho LFX to RFX changes the direction of the turn but not the
direction of the follow.  Hence the restriction to the 6 possibilities.

Thank you for the clarification.

I have, incorrectly, included every thing that changed the direction of my follow.  Another example that feels to the
follow exactly like a change of direction but isn't is:
I lead follow LFX and step across her with R foot so she sacadas my left.  I now lead her RB (Open).  This feels to her
just the same as if it were a simple LFX then RBX.  But, because I have changed my location, and hence the center of
the turn, this is no longer a change of direction.  She is still going CCW.

Cheers,

D. David Thorn