[Tango-L] Will close embrace go the way of the dinosaur?

melvillefox@aol.com melvillefox at aol.com
Thu Jul 10 22:06:47 EDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: David Thorn <thorn-inside at hotmail.com>
To: Mario <sopelote at yahoo.com>; tango-l <tango-l at mit.edu>
Sent: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 4:36 pm
Subject: Re: [Tango-L] Will close embrace go the way of the dinosaur?

All of the decent nuevo dancers that I
know are entirely capable of dancing
close embrace, often do dance close embrace, and in fact may change
embrace a
number of times during a song to
incorporate various degrees of light.

>> If they are changing the embrace during a tango, they are not
dancing 'close embrace'. They are dancing a 'flexible embrace'. The
feeling is completely different. The close embrace is a close
connection because it is kept throughout the dance. It is not something
to be thrown away for a turn (or maybe a boleo).

Although I am sure that they do exist, I
personally know no, zero, nuevo
dancers who think that they should not be proficient at all forms of
dancing to
tango music.

>> Is there a bridge in Brooklyn you want to sell me? Most of the nuevo
dancers I've seen are too busy thinking about their steps to listen the
the music. Why else do they dance to music without rhythm? For example,
'Oblivion' is a beautiful tango for listening, but there's no rhythm to
dance to.

It is possible that your perception of a dichotomy between the open and
close
embrace dancers is a boggyman,
spawned by a vocal minority who seem to believe that nuevo is a bastard
child of
the one true tango.

>> "Bastard child of the one true tango?" Now why didn't this vocal
minority have the cleverness to think of that one?

Mel