[Tango-L] Will close embrace go the way of the dinosaur?

David Thorn thorn-inside at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 10 17:36:08 EDT 2008

Mario:

I'm not sure why you might ask this.  All of the decent nuevo dancers that I know are entirely capable of dancing
close embrace, often do dance close embrace, and in fact may change embrace a number of times during a song to
incorporate various degrees of light.  Although I am sure that they do exist, I personally know no, zero, nuevo
dancers who think that they should not be proficient at all forms of dancing to tango music.

It is possible that your perception of a dichotomy between the open and close embrace dancers is a boggyman,
spawned by a vocal minority who seem to believe that nuevo is a bastard child of the one true tango.  I, and most
dancers that I know, think that it is all good, it is all fun, and the only question is:  What is appropriate to a specific
partner, a specific dance floor and a specific set of circumstances.  And often it is indeed close embrace.

Cheers

D. David Thorn