[Tango-L] metin video

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 27 09:29:55 EST 2008

Keith:
During his first visit here, Pulpo demo'd his trademark
moves (not the two-foot walking thing in the video, though)
with an intermediate dancer who had never danced/studied
with him before.  She looked great.  Pulpo has such good
technique and understanding of mechanics, I'm sure the
workshops will go well.  I don't think anyone else can do
what he does as well, but what he teaches in workshops to
achieve what he does is definitely worth going to in my
book for both men and women, regardless of what style you
dance.

Anna:
> You can tell by her laughter that she is deeply
> embarassed.

"Whoo!" Doesn't not sound like embarassment to me. She also
continued to try the move.  As someone who often partners
visiting instructors for workshops, I sometimes need to
learn new moves on the fly and sometimes I screw up.  I
know what a negative screw up feels like.  Her's was a
positive screw up ("cool! let's try that again!").

To me, it would have been worse if Metin simply "gave up"
on her.  But he kept adjusting until she got the move.  Not
gracefully, perhaps.  But she'll remember "I got it!", not
"I must really suck".  Granted, Metin probably shouldn't
have tried it in the first place with an inexperienced
follower.  I'm guessing from the title that the review took
place at the end of day, possibly by the end of the
weekend.  By that time, everyone is usually tired and is
ready to start goofing off.

> It makes me feel sad to read this, Trini, written by a
> woman:
> "the woman in the video didn't have the technique down,
> but with practice she might one day".

What the woman lacked was getting back onto her own axis
and loose legs.  Basic enough, right?  Lots of women think
they have "mastered" certain skills, but it's not until
they've tried something really difficult that they realize
they have more work to do.

The issue of the video being posted worldwide is something
else.  I've announced in workshops that I host that posting
review demos online without permission from the instructors
and myself is a big no-no.  Fortunately, it's not something
I really need to worry about here.

Trini de Pittsburgh

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/