[Tango-L] Belle Epoque apartments for temporary rental in Buenos Aires

Janis Kenyon Jantango at feedback.net.ar
Wed Jan 23 13:25:52 EST 2008

Jerry wrote:
Does anybody know anything about these apartments?
I've heard several unhappy stories that they are not
what they seem. I'm curious because a tanguera friend
from Minnesota is planning her first trip to BA and
saw the ads for these places on Tango-A. Good deal,
bad deal -any  feedback would be much appreciated.

I know the street corner of Ayacucho and Lavalle, but I have never seen the
apartments.  If you want to sleep after being out dancing until 3:00 in the
morning, this isn't the location for you.  There are bus lines on both
streets.  That means constant traffic and pollution.  If you have heard this
from those who have rented there, then believe it.

The apartments are advertised as being in Barrio Norte.  They are located in
the El Once wholesale shopping district of the barrio Balvanera, one block
from Corrientes which is the main street to downtown.  The apartments are
two blocks to El Beso, but that is one of the most difficult milongas to
break into as a tourist.  They are close to La Nacional, but the milonga is
not worth attending.  Nino Bien is mainly tourists.

The going rate on temporary rentals is about $800USD per month.  The Belle
Epoque apartments at $930 and $1,200 are overpriced in my opinion.  I know
of other nice apartments for less than what Laura Chummers charges.