[Tango-L] Belle Epoque apartments for temporary rental in Buenos Aires

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Wed Jan 23 15:31:28 EST 2008

I have stayed at Laura's apartment at the corner of Ayacucho & Lavalle.

It is a clean, lovely (not quite elegant), medium-sized apartment in a
historic building with an iron elevator. Buenos Aires has a lot of
these pretty, ca 1900 Paris-style buildings

It is quite centrally located. Easy to walk downtown or to several
milongas. Not easy to walk to Nino Bien, but you probably want to use
a taxi to that neighborhood. Corrientes is one block over.

The street corner is full of traffic, but that description covers
about 99% of centrally-located Buenos Aires corners. For quiet
anywhere near the center of town, you need to choose an interior
courtyard. Also, approximately 99% of central Buenos Aires streets
have lots of shopping and restaurants on the main floor.

Welcome to city life.

It is certainly worthwhile getting personal recommendations about any
place you intend to stay. Someone like Laura or a rental agency has
enough of a track record that you aren't going to be screwed on refund
of deposit. Some of these places insist on cash for all or partial
rent and deposit. You may have more recourse if you can pay by credit
card. As I recall, Laura had you pay to her US bank account (she is
American).

Breaking into the milongas is a completely different issue.

The boleo-gancho-back-sacada sequences don't get you very far at most
milongas.

Yeah, El Beso is a bit tough to break into, even if you dance
reasonably well. That can be true at a number of other milongas,
(unless you are young and blonde, but that's not telling you anything
new).

Some of the afternoon milongas are fairly easier to break into,
assuming you have fundamentally decent skills. Not to get into a
polemic about it, but that means, close, tidy, musical social dancing
"the way they do it in Buenos Aires". If you dance this way, it is
still a surprise to a lot of Buenos Aires dancers. They still have
this prejudice that foreigners have no clue about tango.... They
probably have plenty of bad examples to generalize from.

To be even handed, I've noticed that a lot of social dancers in Buenos
Aires have pretty bad technique (ow, my aching back). I would say that
is an illustration of why women shouldn't try to learn "just dancing".