[Tango-L] Entering the pivot - The closing step

Tango For Her tangopeer at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 08:51:45 EST 2008

--- "Trini y Sean (PATangoS)" <patangos at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Sorry, but I must be missing something here.
>
> It seems to me that most of tango happens in step 2
> (extension).  This is when you communicate
> intention,
> direction, and velocity.  From here is also where
> torsion
> comes into play.  Obviously, you can play with all
> of the
> parts, but I still think that you can do more with
> extension than with closing.
>
> I prefer to think of the parts of a step as being:
> - extension
> - weight transfer
> - closing
> - pivot

No, you're not missing anything.  What you said is
important.  I posted this topic because I believe that
a leader can learn to focus more on his/her follower,
as opposed to focussing on steps, if movements are
related to the pivot.

As for your comment about the step out of the pivot
being the *most important*, I agree that more happens
there.  I can accept calling it the most important
step. I think that alone would be a great topic.

ENTERING THE PIVOT - THE CLOSING STEP

I want to add that, in striving for softness in each
step, the movement into the pivot (closing) is very
important.

For example, just walking around the dance floor with
your partner, if landing of the foot and the transfer
of weight on to the foot is concentrated on, then you
can make the dance softer.

If/when I feel that I don't have the best connection
with my partner, I will do just that.  I will walk,
concentrating on removing the feeling of impact from
my partner's landing foot.  I will also concentrate on
the entire closing step.

The same goes for the common "rockstep, sidestep"
move.  How many times has your leader entered the
sidestep ahead of you?  How many times has there been
even the slightest thump to the side step?  This can
be fixed by concentrating on the step entering the
pivot (the closing step).