[Tango-L] Tango is a dance of collections or pivots

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 22 19:16:49 EST 2008

Sorry, but I must be missing something here.

It seems to me that most of tango happens in step 2
(extension).  This is when you communicate intention,
direction, and velocity.  From here is also where torsion
comes into play.  Obviously, you can play with all of the
parts, but I still think that you can do more with
extension than with closing.

I prefer to think of the parts of a step as being:
- extension
- weight transfer
- closing
- pivot

Trini de Pittsburgh

--- Tango For Her <tangopeer at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I say that tango is a dance of collections or pivots
> rather than a walking dance.  I say this to change to
> focus of the dance to where the real tango takes
> place.

> 1.	Stand on your left foot with your feet collected.
> 2.	Slightly bend your left knee and extend your right
> foot to the side with a straight knee.  Keep your body
> aligned over your left foot.
> My point in describing tango movements in this way is
> to shift the focus of the dance from steps to pivots.
> It is coming in and out of the pivot, and being in the
> pivot, where most of tango takes place.
> Also, in centering my thinking around this method, it
> is a natural progression to think of tortion,
> mirroring or matching your partner, circular and
> linear boleos, and fake steps, which I like to call
> “teasing my partner”.

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/