[Tango-L] If not thinking, and besides the music, what are you paying attention to?

Andy Ungureanu abungureanu at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 22 12:42:44 EST 2008

Am 22.01.2008 17:29 schrieb Mario :
> I have been told by one teacher "What do you care about where the woman's feet are?"

He may have meant: "Don't *look* after her feet!"

>   ..and reading here, have seen  " a leader should always know where the woman is, where her weight/feet are.."

Yes, you have to know (i.e. feel) where her feet are, first of all the
one where the weight is, the other one is not so easy to feel, but
actually there not so many alternatives where it could be, it should be
there where your lead sent it ;-) It is in front, at the side or behind
the other one.
It sounds difficult, but everyone gets it one day.

>    ... is that what smooth improvising dancers are paying attention to? or what??  thanks

This is one of many, many things to pay attention to. Even when you know
quite well where her foot is, you have to know (feel) it exactly before
you lead a pivot (called ocho), if not, the movement feels very strange.
You can try to deliberately ignore where her feet are, and you will see
what happens: you stumble.

Andy