[Tango-L] If not thinking, and besides the music, what are you paying attention to?

Tango For Her tangopeer at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 22 12:51:19 EST 2008

--- Mario <sopelote at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have been told by one teacher "What do you care
> about where the woman's feet are?"
>
>   ..and reading here, have seen  " a leader should
> always know where the woman is, where her
> weight/feet are.."
>
>    ... is that what smooth improvising dancers are
> paying attention to? or what??  thanks

You don't need to watch her feet and she doesn't need
to watch yours.

When your follower is at rest, a rule of thumb is that
each foot is under each side of her chest.  Ya, it
sounds obvious.  But, that is the reference point.

You want to know where you are leading her to step.

You want to give her room during front moves, front
ochoes, boleos, etc.

You want to develop a feel for what type of
embellishment she is doing.  There is a lot to this

There is the communication of waiting until she is
done.  Of course, she has to be ready to go if/when
you decide to move along.

As for more on embellishments, maybe Astrid, or
someone else could elaborate.

If you are leading a drag, then, I sure hope you know
where her foot is.

In my post, Walk Like a Homosapien, I explain that
understanding followers technique, and learning to
lead from that understanding, will give you a great
understanding of exactly where her feet should be.