[Tango-L] If not thinking, and besides the music, what are you paying attention to?

steve pastor tang0man2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 22 16:17:51 EST 2008

Well, yes, the man should know where the woman's feet. Many instructors
  never add that the woman can (and I would say should) learn how to make
  it easier for the man to feel where her feet are. And, obviously, then, the
  women aren't taught how to clearly convey where their feet are.
  This is done non verbally, of course, and the man "feels" where her feet
  are, rather than knowing intellectually.
  This is where it becomes crucial to have instructors that know what terms
  like "axis" mean, and can convey that knowledge to their students.
  At that point, if the woman steps only under her own body, as does the man
  (in general, but with many exceptions), you can make your dance very
  improvisational.

Astrid <astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp> wrote:

>I have been told by one teacher "What do you care about where the woman's
>feet are?"
>
> ..and reading here, have seen " a leader should always know where the
> woman is, where her weight/feet are.."
>
> ... is that what smooth improvising dancers are paying attention to? or
> what?? thanks

You teacher sounds a little strange but I think, he may have been scolding
you for looking at the floor, no? Of course the man has to know where the
woman's feet and the rest her is, so that he won't step on her and can lead
her exactly from where she is. A good dancer can feel where she is. This is
certainly not limited to improvisation.