[Tango-L] Tango is a dance of collections or pivots

Tango For Her tangopeer at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 21 14:56:07 EST 2008

I say that tango is a dance of collections or pivots
rather than a walking dance.  I say this to change to
focus of the dance to where the real tango takes
place.

I use the term pivot to indicate the point in a step
where the feet are collected.

At the pivot, you can lead your follow to:
-	do a side step
-	do a back step
-	do a front step
-	pivot (swivel)

>From the pivot, there are all kinds of moves, such as
boleos and volcadas, that come from leading the
beginning of a step.  So, let’s break down a step to
see how it is really just a part of the pivot.

I think of a step as five parts, the fourth and fifth
parts mirroring the first and second parts.  To list
the five parts of a step, let’s look at the process of
starting on your left foot, taking a side step and
ending on your right foot:

1.	Stand on your left foot with your feet collected.
2.	Slightly bend your left knee and extend your right
foot to the side with a straight knee.  Keep your body
aligned over your left foot.
3.	Transfer your weight to the point where your body
is positioned between your feet.  This point is “no
man’s land”, the point where you never want to leave
your follower.
4.	Transfer your weight over your right foot leaving
your left foot in it’s original place.  Your right
knee will, now, be slightly bent and your left knee
will be straight.
5.	Collect left foot to your right foot.  Remain
standing on your right foot.

Notice that #3 is the mid-point.  Now, let’s rewrite
this sequence to let the pivot be the mid-point:

1.	Stand on your right foot with your right knee bent
and your left foot out to the left with your left knee
straight.
2.	Move your left foot to a collection with your
right, remaining on your right foot.

You are now in the pivot

1.	Stand on your right foot with your right foot with
your feet together.
2.	Bend your right knee slightly and move your left
foot out to the left, straightening your left knee.

Yes, we have not talked about step #3.  But, that is
no-man’s land, anyway.

My point in describing tango movements in this way is
to shift the focus of the dance from steps to pivots.
It is coming in and out of the pivot, and being in the
pivot, where most of tango takes place.  If you think
in these terms, then, your focus will shift from
varying the feel and technique of moving in and out of
your pivots, thus, honing your technique regarding
softness and balance.

I prefer to think in terms of softness and balance
rather than steps.

Also, in centering my thinking around this method, it
is a natural progression to think of tortion,
mirroring or matching your partner, circular and
linear boleos, and fake steps, which I like to call
“teasing my partner”.  I also like to think of these
fake steps and varying amounts of tortion as my way to
hone my communication with my partner because this is
where we will both be spending a lot of time, as
leaders, doing the unexpected.  As our follower
responds and we respond to her response, our ability
to communicate increases and our dancing gets softer.

All of that and we weren’t even thinking of steps!
You gotta love tango!