[Tango-L] Milonga 101 -- conversation between dances

Krasimir Stoyanov krasimir at krasimir.com
Tue Jan 15 00:21:30 EST 2008

I have seen similar picture countless times.
And it is not because teaching technique is wrong.
Wrong is when one teaches wrong technique.

What is wrong technique? This is when someone teaches a combination in order
to show technique. The real technique is nothing more than posture, embrace,
walking and pivots. If you can lead walking and pivots, you can lead
everything. But the couple needs proper posture and embrace to walk and
pivot. And, the other way too - to keep the posture and the embrace correct,
the walking and the pivots must be properly executed too. All these things
are not possible to separate. There is no fixed geometry, no need for some
kind of high level structure, etc.

I can recommend two sources of real, tango-improving technique:
One is the site www.tangoandchaos.org, the other are the videos from
Fernanda Ghi and Guillermo Merlo - "Follower's technique" and "Salon Tango
Technique". They are true gems in a see of stupid, combination oriented
videos.

If you combine the two sources, you will have enough information of what
good AT technique is. It is very simple, once you get it. You may need a
good teacher to help you . . . Or, if you are close enough to these ideas,
you will find them very fascinating.

But, the most americans and europeans are so afraid of the fact, that the
follower should be PASSIVE. Of course, not fully passive (to manage the free
leg mainly), but a follower must not input energy into the couple, only
consume it. The leader produces the energy, the follower consumes it. No
matter the kind of embrace, no matter if it is social dance or not. The
quality of movement is way higher this way. And the proper technique teaches
how to enable and improve this process. Not combinations at all, they are
not important - because they are easy to do once the fundament is in place.

Fernanda says to the followers: "Make your body responsive". See? Not "Be
responsive". Not your mind should respond. It is the body that responds to
the influence of mechanical action, taken by the lead.

Whatever, enough free internet lessons. People are used to think that if
something is free, it is worth nothing.