[Tango-L] social tango 101

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Mon Jan 14 15:07:20 EST 2008

These transgressions are not special to tango, they are no different
from ANY social dancing event.  Same thing happens in ballroom and any
moving dance.  If anything, more so in ballroom, and a lot of it
probably comes from ballroom, which can resemble an Indy 500 video game.
  Someone let these people get away with becoming speed racers on the
social dance floor.

While this seems to be very obvious (and very rude)...many people simply
DO NOT KNOW the rules of dance etiquette or what constitutes good and
bad 'floorcraft'.  No one has ever told them.

At the U of M ballroom club they pass out a sheet of dance etiquette;
this is also on the website.  They also make mention of this, and ask
the new members to pick a copy of the rules up, and the returning
dancers to 'reacquaint' with the rules.

Dance etiquette and floorcraft information can be found all over the web
by using The Google.

Appropriate to hand out at a practica, for sure.  If you think this will
spoil the atmosphere of your milonga, then the other choice is for the
promoter to go around and tell people their transgressions privately.

Which they should do.  The guests are their invitees and deserve to be
free of this behavior, and it is the promoter's responsibility to
provide for their enjoyment and comfort.

CS