[Tango-L] social tango 101

Crrtango@aol.com Crrtango at aol.com
Mon Jan 14 14:13:52 EST 2008

 To continue the thread of "bad behavior"  I went to the All-night milonga
here (which was quite crowded but fun) on Sat. and noticed a number of things
about the dancers who contributed the most to the confusion (and collisions) on
the floor.   To name a few:

_Talking with your partner while dancing, instead of paying attention to the
flow of the dancers around you.
_Showing off or trying to impress your partner, or those you think are
watching you, instead of paying attention to the dancers around you.
_Not realizing that a particular figure is too large to execute under crowded
conditions, instead of paying attention to the dancers around you.
_Standing still and conversing while everyone else is dancing, instead of
paying attention to the dancers around you.
_Teaching (!) in the middle of the floor, instead of paying attention to the
dancers around you.
_Looking down at your feet or those of your partner (a classic sign of a bad
dancer), instead of paying attention to the dancers around you.
_Passing and assuming that the space ahead of the couple in front of you is
yours, instead of paying attention to the dancers around you.

There are others but I think most people can see the pattern emerging here.
Dancing socially is different from performing socially.

One of the great pleasures of dancing, among many, in Buenos Aires was, after
ending a song, to find the couple that started in front of you and the person
who started behind you were still in the same place.
I teach some privates now but may soon be starting classes in tango de salon
here in NYC that will emphasize the social aspects of tango dancing at
milongas, including appropriate and inappropriate steps relative to the music and
crowd, the difference between tango and milonga, etc. Those who are interested
can watch my posts for more information.

cheers,
Charles

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.