[Tango-L] Milonga, a guy thing.

steve pastor tang0man2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 11 20:01:51 EST 2008

"You'd cross her at the half-beat instead of giving her a full beat to cross.  If
getting her to a cross from an ocho cortado is kosher, why wouldn't walking
  to (or through) the cross also be okay?"
  It works for me.
  And...
  If I can do three quick steps while leading two for my partner, why couldn't
  she do three to my two, crossing in front of herself?
  The sassier women I dance with can with do this, and I tell my partners now,
  that as long as they let me know where they are through our connection,
  it's OK with me.
  If this is not "correct" milonga, I have a question.
  If we follow "rules" about what is "correct", are we really free to develop
  our own style?

  And, I'm going to argue that the lead and follow of tango is basically the same,
  as are the steps, and possible step combinations, whether you are dancing to a
  tango, a vals, or a milonga. Since those three kinds of songs have different
  "feels", as noted in the time signatures, the steps should come out differently.