[Tango-L] Milonga, a guy thing.

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 11 19:03:11 EST 2008

--- Crrtango at aol.com wrote:
> Milonga steps are smaller, more contained and don't
> include many steps normally done in regular tango, like
going to the cross, for one.

I have heard that before, that going to the cross isn't
supposed to be a milonga step, but I'm not buying it.  Here
are a couple of examples with milonga done in two different
styles:

Going to the cross at the beginning and middle of video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6IeJGYqKrc

Going to the cross at the end of video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIX-gTg5Kzs

I understand there not being ganchos or long pauses in
milonga, but it never made any sense that going to the
cross was supposed to be a no-no.    You'd cross her at the
half-beat instead of giving her a full beat to cross.  If
getting her to a cross from an ocho cortado is kosher, why
wouldn't walking to (or through) the cross also be okay?

Charles is right about many people treating milonga as a
fast tango.  The difference in learning milonga, I find, is
how people are taught to hear the music in tango.  Those
who are taught to play with the half-beats in tango tend to
pick up traspie much more easily than those who do not.

Trini de Pittsburgh

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/