[Tango-L] 11 year old girl's view of Tango

Norman Tiber natiber at charter.net
Fri Jan 11 19:49:29 EST 2008

A friend of mine, Billy Burke, teachers International Folk Dancing at
a charter  middle school in LA. His group is well know and called
“Billy’s Kids.”

During the semester he has them do various projects, including
researching a dance that interests them. One 11 year old girl chose
the Tango and Billy sent this to me. Her report was hand written and
this is a typed copy (spelling and grammar not corrected). I think
it’s worth sharing:

“THE TANGO

	The Tango is an amazing dance that is danced with passion. To me It
looks very, very difficult.  The songs that is played while dancing
sound very latin sounding.  The outfits are very shinny and
beautiful.  To me the dance tells a story about people

	What I have learned is amazing.  The Tango has originated from Spain
or Moraco.  Spanish Settlers showed it to the new world.  I was
amazed when I heard that in the early 19th century only women danced
this dance.  I never even new that you need to wear a uniform.  The
women had to wear full skirts in Buenos Aires.  Men had to wear
gauchos with high boots and spurs.  The tango was later called a bad
dance because it is very, very flirty.  The Tango has been seen in
many adult movies.  The Tango began in Argentina.  Gauchos would go
to dance clubs after a long day of hard work and ask the local girls
to dance.  Because the Gauchos didn't smell and weren't clean the
girls would dance stifly and with their head held back.  The woman
would put her right hand on the mans left hip close to this pocket
where she would get her payment for dancing with him.  The danced in
a curving fashion because the dance floor was very small and they
danced around round tables.  The dance became popular in New York
around 1910.  Rudolf Valentino made the Tango a hit in 1921.  As time
went by the Tango was finally considered respectable n Argentina.
There are many different styles of Tango.  The Americanized version
is a combonation of the best parts of each.  Tango music is like a
story it contains a beginning, middle and end.

	The Tango is so cool.  The history behind it is amazing.  I was
right when I said thee was a story behind it.  I was amazed about the
stories that invented it.  I wish I could dance the tango because of
its dancing.  To me this is a dance that has change the world
forever.  I once heard that this was danced by cowboys and that they
created it so I looked up Gauchos and found that they were cowboys.
I am so happy that I researched this danced because it is so
fastinating and cool”