[Tango-L] Popularity of Milonga (the dance)

Jay Rabe jayrabe at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 11 12:14:09 EST 2008

Dave wrote:
> On the other hand, I've enjoyed nice milonga tandas with total
> beginners who've never danced milonga before.  No bad habits!

I agree. But I think the reason beginner women can be led in a fun milonga is more structural than behavioral. Not counting traspie, which you wouldn't be leading a beginner into anyway, it's rhythmically very regular, and you don't put many pauses in milonga. I tell them, just take smallish steps, and step on every beat, left-right-left-right. It works very well.

On the other question of why it is less popular, if my personal history might be applicable to other beginners, when I started I was very intimidated by milonga. As a beginner I was very much into my head, and I literally couldn't think fast enough to do milonga. But then I started dating a woman who Loved milonga, and, well, I had no choice but to learn it. Eventually I learned how to do things without thinking, and now I love milonga too.

    TangoMoments.com