[Tango-L] tango/milonga/tango

Crrtango@aol.com Crrtango at aol.com
Thu Jan 10 10:00:42 EST 2008

As Astrid pointed out, tango goes back to habanera, some flamenco, milonga,
etc and as Sergio also pointed out, it also evolved along the way from
canyengue (basically an early form of tango) and rural dances.
To answer 'mash's questions, one of the reason you don't have milongas of
only milongas is that there may not be enough of them to fill an entire night.
There are many more tangos proportionately.   And if so, it might get a little
tedious week after week. One of the beauties of having three distinct dance
forms is the variety offered during the night. I would personally get tired of
dancing spirited, happy dances all night. Melancholy, sadness and romance are
all part of tango.
As to the origins, milonga did not directly evolve into tango, but in the
early days there was often no distinction between the two, especially if the song
was a upbeat one. If you happen to find any old sheet music (or photographs
of them in books) you will see some of the early songs called tango/milongas.
The rhythm that we associate with milonga evolved out of the combination of
several sources like the milonga campera, candombe and tango and gradually
evolved into the distinct beat that we now know. One very interesting example of
the mixture is "Carnavalito" recorded by Lucio DeMare which almost literally
layers a rural "country" or indigenous rhythm on top of a "city" rhythm. It
almost sounds like two songs played simultaneously. Another example is the famous
Villoldo song "El Porten~ito."   D'Arienzo and others play it as a tango but
D'Agostino plays it as a milonga (it's listed as a tango/milonga on his CD).
Nothing is ever purely black or white but the fact that we call the social
dances "milongas" indicates how germane it is to the evolution of tango.

Cheers,
Charles