[Tango-L] Popularity of Milonga (the dance)

Dave Schmitz dschmitz007 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 11 01:28:21 EST 2008

--- "Trini y Sean (PATangoS)" <patangos at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thus,
> inexperienced men will sit out milonga tandas and wait for
> tangos.

I love to dance milonga, especially to 1930s recordings including
Canaro, Donato, Lomuto & D'Arienzo.  D'Agostino & DiSarli from the
1940s are nice too.

However, at festivals I'm often sitting out milonga tandas unless I
know someone who dances milonga con traspie.  I prefer to sit and enjoy
the music than to put two people into an uncomfortable tanda.

On the other hand, I've enjoyed nice milonga tandas with total
beginners who've never danced milonga before.  No bad habits!  Milonga
can be nice with beginner women.

DJ Dave de Denver

PS:  I'm hugely disappointed in festival deejays who play only three
milongas in a tanda.  Hey, they're short.  Play five!  Milonga does not
need to be a barn burner.  It can be tranquil & playful.