[Tango-L] tango schizophrenia

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Wed Jan 9 12:40:00 EST 2008

> What makes you think they didn't?

Because, as Keith said: "great teachers were not available".

The only historical evidence I've seen or heard of professional teachers
of social tango to natives of that time is of dance schools that served a
minority who had no family or friends to learn from and so had instead to
pay for lessons. As Sergio recently recounted on this list, though these
schools made a lot of money (especially from distance teaching based on
graphics and descriptions), the result was:

 very few, would learn from this type of studio but generally speaking
 those were the worst dancers and they had the characteristic of dancing
 the same way.

Not much has changed, eh?

If anyone has any historical evidence of any teachers - great or otherwise
- of social tango prior to the (re)invention of Tango As A Foreign
Language classes in the 1980s, I'd love to hear it.

--
Chris