[Tango-L] tango schizophrenia

'Mash mashdot at toshine.net
Wed Jan 9 09:26:20 EST 2008

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 12:40:00PM +0000, Chris, UK wrote:
> > one should learn Tango like the great visual artists or even in terms of
> > martial artists. That only out of disciplined copying of a master will
> > you be able to then create your own style and add your own inspiration.
>
> Mash, I do wonder what could have lead you to this conclusion. Great tango
> salon dancers do not learn by "disciplined copying of a master". They
> acquire their own style through many years of dancing their own dance from
> their particular feeling for the music.

You have to learn to dance before you can dance. Before one steps in style; one steps.
It is better in my mind then to learn from somone who steps well.

Reducing it down... if a step say consists of how you rotate the foot, point the foot and then place the foot.
The style becomes evident. If I am taught to point my toe on the step then that is the style. I need to base my steps on some foundation so I choose the style which I feel is most pleasing. Thus if I want to incorperate a particular style I search out those who master it. Then by copying I start building a repertoire of skills to have as my foundation, in my case smatterings of ballet which I find quite beautiful when brought into Tango.

I think this coincides with the original post about someone wanting to dance the way a various number of dancers do.

I am not saying that we should become little mirrors of our teachers and remain. I am saying we should mimic those who know more then us and grow from that. My personality rebels against a pure "ballet like" style but if KNOW how to point my foot just right, then any deviation in terms of "free style" will always be in my mind controlled and polished. Foundation is key.

'Mash
London,UK