[Tango-L] tango schizophrenia

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Wed Jan 9 11:04:00 EST 2008

> if I want to incorperate a particular style I search out those who
> master it. Then by copying I start building a repertoire of skills

I have to say this reveals a fundamental misunderstanding of this dance
and the process by which it is learnt. Copying the style of another does
not build a repertoire of skills. At most it builds simply a copy of the
style of another.

Tango dance style is not something that can "incorporated" from others. It
is an expression of the dancer's personality, developed from within.

Mash, as for your "copy someone else's style /to/ /perfection/" (my
emphasis)... well, after you've actually been dancing for a year or two, I
think you'll discover quite how little such "perfection" is actually
worth. Even and /especially/ as a means to an end.

--
Chris

PS A spirited ;) performance of Pacienca by Juan D'Arienzo and
Alberto Echagüe: http://youtube.com/watch?v=rXVgQA5_ByE (video 2m40s).