[Tango-L] Gender Imbalance/Advertising for men

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Tue Jan 8 10:01:58 EST 2008

Another reluctant jumper-in, but I have practical experience as a
volunteer promoter that I think might be helpful.

We have the same problem locally with other dance styles and attracting
men -- perceived impression that dancers are all slick 'Dancing with the
Stars' material.  To combat this, we have flyers of people dancing that
feature photographs of real people and not professionals, teachers or
actors.  The emphasis is on a mix of ages and races and to show people
wearing casual clothes and enjoying the dance.  (We had a specific
mandate to show middle aged people dancing swing, because there is a
perception that it is a dance for 20-somethings.)  I can easily envision
doing the same approach with Argentine tango.  The message is "normal
people like you enjoy doing this and you can too."  (sorry to all the
elitists out there)

If you want to see examples of how we did this here are some URLs to my
flyers:

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n308/shetangoshelindy/2upaasda_022.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n308/shetangoshelindy/2upaasda_014.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n308/shetangoshelindy/2upaasda_003.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n308/shetangoshelindy/2upaasda_027.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n308/shetangoshelindy/2upaasda_021.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n308/shetangoshelindy/2upaasda_020.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n308/shetangoshelindy/2upaasda_012copy.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n308/shetangoshelindy/2upnew_no1.jpg

These photos were selected from photos from local events and from photos
I found on the web where I contacted the photographer for permission.
In all cases, permission was received by contacting the photographer
(for non-profit use).