[Tango-L] Dance for success?

NANCY ningle_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 7 20:18:28 EST 2008

You are confused, Shahrukh.

The first question at the end of the first song is
"Are you comfortable?"  After the second song, it is
"Do you have a boyfriend?"  And the third question is
"Will you go for coffee?" ** at the end of the tanda.
They may offer to give the woman their phone number,
but it will usually be a cellphone or the number of
the store near their house.  Wouldn't want the wife or
the girlfriend intercepting those calls.

**'Going for coffee' has a much more provocative
connotation than it does in the US.  I have answered,
"A cafe milonguero o un cafe de amistad?"
(friendship).

<GRIN>
Nancy
--- Shahrukh Merchant <shahrukh at shahrukhmerchant.com>
wrote:

> > The first thing that most Argentine men ask the
> woman after the first
> > dance is if she feels comfortable.  In 12 years, I
> only heard that
> > from one non-Argentine man.
>
> Hmm, I thought, "What's your phone number?" was the
> first question. :-)
>
> But seriously, if you're right (I'm skeptical), I
> have to admit that I
> have never asked that of a woman (other than
> possibly if she was in
> obvious discomfort, but I probably blocked out that
> scenario ...).
>
> Tonight I shall try a controlled experiment.
>
> Test Group A:
>
> Are you comfortable?
> What's your phone number?
>
> Test Group B (what I thought most Argentine men ask
> ...):
>
> Do you have a boyfriend?
> What's your phone number?
>
> Let's see with which group I get more phone numbers.
>
> Shahrukh
>
> P.S. Remind me not to post to Tango-L after
> consuming the better part of
> a bottle of an exquisite 2000 Salentein Malbec ...
> mmm ... (caveat
> emptor: more recent vintages not as good).

<<Rito es la danza en tu vida
     y el tango que tu amas
     te  quema en su llama>>
de: Bailarina de tango