[Tango-L] Gender Imbalance/Advertising for men

rockies@comcast.net rockies at comcast.net
Sun Jan 6 07:11:15 EST 2008

From: "Astrid" <astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp>
> yes, Roger is right, tehre are much simpler ways to pick up women than to
> learn tango, if a man just wants to do that. It is the computer analysts and
> so on who yearn for a human embrace after work, not the motorbike driving
> machos who would probably meet girls in the pub down the road over a beer
> instead. Been all researched in Germany.

Not sure why I waded into this thread. I wondered if it would create a firestorm, which is why a private reply seemed a better idea.

Well, in defense of motoryclists, a large percentage are also IT people. I happen to be both, and a dancer. Wouldn't it be better if we did not assume that stereotypes are the rule? Dont' we want to break the inaccurate stereotype that dancing is unmanly? Or is it just that our dance is elitist? There are at least  ten motorcyclist tangeuros here. and I'm sure there are many, many on the list, lots of whom don't bring their motorcycles to milongas (as I rarely do) so you would not even know they are riders.  The image of motorcyclists as beer swilling is actually a horrendously inaccurate stereotype too. You know what would be really nice? if we could all find a common ground as human beings rather than look for things to divide us. Tango itself will attract the best people for the dance, you're not going to get the lowest common denominator coming through the milonga door just because you advertise in a male dominated establishment. Even Harley riders nowadays are doctors, e
 nginee
rs, IT people, lawyers and dentists, by the way.  These are the kind of people who will respond to advertising for dancing, not the ones who are successful playing upon their bad boy image.

I would agree though that it would make sense to advertise to IT and engineering departments, but that isn't possible unless you know someone who works inside those establishments, I've already spread the gospel at my facility, as have probably all the men who work in such fields. Ask away in your community. It can't hurt, but dont' expect to pull in large numbers, since as mentioned, the word has probably already been spread.

Respectfully,

Randy