[Tango-L] women as leader

Claudia claudiaborg at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 09:08:57 EST 2008

Keith,

I would have to disagree with you. I really feel that Tango is a dance
between two people, one takes the role of a leader, the other of a
follower. Saying that masculine qualities are required to lead in
tango reminds me of people in my country who say that only men can be
bus drivers and women should remain at home...I won't continue as I'm
sure you get the feel. I am no expert, but I feel that tango is about
communication, concentration, and somewhere along the line you find
out it is about the experience of connecting with a person without
uttering a word. I honestly don't see where the masculine qualities
are in the above.  I also get this feel from this book I've been
reading.

The Meaning of Tango: The Story of the Argentinian Dance by Christine Denniston

I'd recommend it if you wish to understand tango more. In the
meantime, Dyane, if you ever happen to be in Malta, I'd gladly accept
to follow your lead :) Good luck.

Claudia